May 28, 2011

So it begins...

This is me, Anna, and I have been a seasonal crocheter since I was in high school.  My mom and sisters taught me this craft in order to help me focus while reading for classes.  I would have dropped the hobby altogether if my dad hadn't insisted in me continuing and finally challenging me to make him a scarf.  He knows me too well and knew that I wouldn't allow myself to fail when given a task.  So I made him a scarf, and it was horrific looking.  Being the nice sweet father that he is though, he will still wear it on really cold days.  But, that was...oh my goodness...eight years ago and I'd like to think I have much improved my crocheting.

In March of 2011, my beloved boyfriend Bryan and I were walking around Barnes and Noble when we wandered towards the crafts section of books.  While I was looking at different pattern books, Bryan picked up Christen Haden's Creepy Cute Crochet book and immediately saw the Cthulhu on the front cover.  He showed me the book and asked me to make him one.  I smiled, laughed, and said it was adorable; then I asked if he was really serious.

"Yes," was his answer.  "I know you have more creativity up in that head of yours and I want to see if you can make more than a hat and scarf set."  

He had me, and we both knew it.  I accepted the challenge with the only stipulation being he had to buy me the book.  Ten minutes later, we were walking out of Barnes and Noble with my new crochet pattern book of making dolls.  

I relayed this story to my family and friends and they laughed at our silliness.  However, when I showed them the book, they asked for one for themselves.  After I made toys for them, I began posting pictures of the toys I had made and I had more requests for customized creations.  Eventually, several family, friends, and even strangers inquired about their cost and emphasized I ought to sell the toys.  

I knew if I wanted to go through with this business venture, I would need Bryan's support and help.  He is, after all, the one who gives all of the dolls their personality through their eyes, mouths, and accessories he makes out of baked clay.  We talked it over and decided to take the initiative and begin a small business; I would take care of all of the crocheting details and he would handle all of the sculpting.  After much discussion with my sisters and my soon to be brother-in-law, my older sister, Gina, came up with the name String Theory.  The business was born.

I know this was a long post, but most introductions can get long winded.  I will do the best I can in making posts shorter in the future.  Otherwise, welcome to AB String Theory, I hope you stay tuned.  

1 comment:

  1. this is awesome. i was wondering how you got that tiny little crochet needle! your yarn buddies have been looking fantastic and i can't wait to see more. well wishes

    ReplyDelete