June 4, 2011

So it begins....also

     Bryan here, I design and create the clay bits of the yarn buddies.  I have always been detail oriented and I think the personal effects of a yarn buddy can really give them a personality.  After seeing the button eyes and felt accents on the yarn figures from Creepy Cute Crochet, I decided to try and make them myself mostly because we couldn't find the right buttons for eyes and I didn't like just having felt accessories.  Now I have no formal art training, BS in Geography, but as we make more and more of these buddies the quality of pieces has gone up.  I think the most fun I have with these projects is in using my very advanced crafting tools of an X-ACTO knife, Pentel Clic Eraser, and a toothpick to create a doodle I made.


     To give this blog a bit more of a direction, we've decided to embark on a Buddy-a-Week campaign.  This is inspired by Jonathon Coulton's Thing A Week song creation experiment.  However, instead of creating a brand new idea from scratch, we have come up with a white board full of ideas, mostly nerdy, and will be selecting them at random and working on them over the week.  The idea is to select the buddy on Mondays and work throughout the week until the final product is shown on Saturday.  Some are a bit too simple to constitute their own week so there may be a few sets.  Any new thing that we make will be available on the Etsy store http://www.etsy.com/shop/ABStringTheory by the end of the week.  Once I figure out how to really use the store we'll be putting up some older buddies as well.  Stop by this Monday to see the first buddy selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment